Gas-Fireplace.com - Lisa's Blog
Hello, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Lisa and I have been an employee of Gas-Fireplaces.com, a Division of Recreational Warehouse for over 16 years. We are one of the largest dealers (We are now celebrating 41 years in business!) of gas fireplaces, inserts and logs in the country. We have extensive experience in advising customers online as well as in our retail store, choose the correct gas product for their homes. My desire to develop this blog was to offer a better understanding of the products we sell and answer questions you might have. Throughout the years, I have enjoyed helping customers and have been very eager to learn and would like to share that knowledge with you. Any questions?
Choose a Category
Ventless Gas Logs, Inserts and Fireplaces
Gas fireplaces, inserts and logs are available in natural gas or propane. Ventless units are intended to be used as supplemental heat for a home. There is no vent, flue, or chimney required so all of the heat generated by the product is utilized as heat with 99.9% efficiency. Ventless gas inserts and log sets offer homeowners a safe and energy efficient way to add additional heat to their homes. Ventless gas burners are design certified by national testing laboratories to meet the latest national standards for health and safety guidelines. Ventless products are fueled by natural gas or propane and their engineered burners provide efficient, environmentally clean burning heat. More than 17 million households use ventless gas supplemental heating appliances.
Vented fireplaces and inserts have no limitations and can be used as a primary heat source in any room of the home. Vented fireplaces are a beneficial option in either new builds or an addition in an existing home. Often times a new addition will be cooler than the existing home and it can be a challenge to heat. Installing a vented fireplace will offer direct heat to the area without the need to turn up the thermostat and in turn heat the entire house to keep that area warm. Installation of a vented fireplace is very basic as most are vented directly through the wall with a vent pipe that measures just over 6" in diameter and a 13 X 13 termination cap on the outside of the home.
Vented inserts are designed for existing wood burning masonry fireplaces and can also be used as a primary heat source. A termination cap is attached to the top of the chimney, a double liner is attached and dropped down the chimney to the insert allowing for fresh air to come in and exhaust fumes to go out.
Whether the gas appliance is vented or ventless, most are available with the option of a wall mounted thermostat, basic on/off hand held remote, or a hand held remote with a timer or thermostat.
Important Facts About Ventless Gas Products
For New Ventless Gas Log and Fireplace Owners:
1. A cleaning of your ventless gas log set or fireplace burner should be done at least once a year. Before lighting the pilot for the season, please follow the cleaning instructions on our website below the Category list. A second cleaning may be necessary from heavy use or excessive dust in the middle of the season.
2. A ventless gas log set or fireplace requires a 6 hour consecutive burn time to remove the oils that were used during the manufacturing process. If burning off gas logs, it is recommended to keep the damper closed so the ventless gas logs can reach their hottest temperature during this time. You might notice some light smoke and a strong odor but this is normal and will slowly dissipate during the burn off. Your home smoke detector may be triggered during the first hour or two, allow for some ventilation by opening doors and windows to allow fresh air in.
3. Your Ventless gas log set or fireplace is equipped with a safety pilot and oxygen depletion system. The safety pilot is designed to shut off the flow of gas if the pilot or flame extinguishes. There is a 45 second delay for the burner to reset before relighting the pilot. The Oxygen Depletion System is designed to shut the unit down if senses low oxygen.
4. Your ventless gas logs or fireplace is not designed to be used as a primary heat source. Ventless products are designed to be used as a supplemental heat source and about 4 to 5 hours per day. Use your ventless appliance to warm the area where it is located. Most ventless gas logs can be used with the damper open, when you have a functional damper and working chimney flue.
5. Your ventless gas log and fireplaces will raise the humidity level in your home. Humidity levels are lower in the winter, most often this added humidity is welcomed. Using a ventless product as primary heat can cause excessive moisture and lead to unwanted mold and mildew.
6. If you smell an odor after the initial burn off period, that will gradually dissipate within 10 to 20 hours of use. If you continue to smell an odor keep in mind there are odors that can interact with your ventless product.
• Frequently burning candles
• Painting or staining
• Hairspray, aerosols, and cleaning products
• Air fresheners and potpourri
• Fans that interrupt the normal flame pattern
• Objects placed in or near the flames
• Logs improperly placed on the burner assembly
THE BENEFITS OF CHOOSING MONESSEN
ALL OF THE MONESSEN VENTLESS GAS LOGS, INSERTS AND FIREPLACES OFFER:
THE REAL DEAL
Whether you purchase a Monessen fireplace or a ventless log set for an existing wood burning fireplace, the gas log designs are inspired by nature and are hand-painted for incredible realism and life-like detail. This offers a truly unique and authentic look to every log set.
INSTALL ALMOST ANYWHERE
The ventless gas log sets allow for installation in any existing firebox without the need for venting-making them a terrific choice for just about any room in your home. Gas logs or fireplaces intended for bedroom use must be 10,000 BTU'S or less. All gas log sets and gas fireplaces are available for natural gas or propane.
Monessen stands behind each and every gas log set and fireplace and backs them with a lifetime warranty.
TWO STYLES-REFRACTORY CEMENT OR CERAMIC FIBER
The log sets are offered in one of these two materials. Refractory cement log sets allow for more fine detailing while ceramic fiber log sets reflect more heat. The ventless gas fireplaces include the ceramic fiber logs therefore maximizing heat output.
With a remarkable 99% efficiency rating, Monessen ventless gas log sets and fireplaces maximize heating operation to provide optimum fuel savings.
Frequently asked questions
THE BENEFITS OF CHOOSING PROCOM
ProCom's mission is to be your first choice when shopping for supplemental gas fireplace heating. They deliver outstanding service, unbeatable value, innovation, and quality.
ProCom's Products and Services:
ProCom's philosophy of vertical integration of parts and components has allowed them to engineer affordable high quality products and offer support in the aftermarket needs of customers. They have manufactured quality heaters and hearth products now for over 15 years, and include a full line of ventless gas space heaters, fireplaces and log sets.
ProCom products are promoted through three different brands; ProCom, ProCom Select and HearthSense. ProCom features a variety of products ranging from ventless gas wall heaters to an affordable selection of ventless gas log sets and fireplaces. They are marketed through a wide range of reputable businesses and showcase an upscale series of products arrangement of features to include remote controlled units. These products are sold through independent dealers that sell and service their complete line of gas heaters, logs and fireplaces.
When To Check Building Codes
Whenever there is a question regarding design, contruction or alteration, you should consult with the building codes in your area to see what the restrictions are. These codes standards were established for the purpose of safety, health, and quality of life. New York City's code is the oldest (1916) and, because of the city's population density and such concerns as fire prevention, adequate light, and ventilation, the most stringent.
Manual, Modulating And Millivolt Control Systems
Manual Control System:
With a manual valve you turn the burners on, and adjust the flame height by a control knob on the gas appliance. The ability to adjust the flame height with a ventless gas log set will allow a range of BTU's and heat. Manual control ventless gas log sets are not capable of using a remote control or wall thermostat.
Modulating Control System:
A modulating control offers automatic temperature control which automatically controls the heat in the room. Operation is easy, light the pilot, turn the flame up to high until the room is comfortable, then turn slowly turn the knob towards low until the the flame shuts off. The thermostat is set and the valve will "modulate" the flame on and off to maintain the temperature you set. Easy to use but there is no flame height adjustment. To keep the unit on you would turn the control on high to override the thermostat feature. Thermostatic controlled heaters and fireplaces allow temperature setting on the unit, and the fireplace or heater will cycle on and offer to maintain temperature in a room. This can be also be achieved with a millivolt system with some type of thermostat remote.
Millivolt Control System:
A millivolt system has a valve that allows the use of a wall switch, wired or wireless wall thermostat or a remote control. A thermostat remote or wall mounted thermostat will regulate and maintain the temperature in the room.
Minimum Hearth Requirements
Before purchasing a ventless gas log set whether it be Monessen or another brand, be sure to follow the minimum hearth requirements when choosing a size.
Questions Regarding Installation
This section is reserved for questions regarding the installation of ventless gas logs, inserts and fireplaces.
Do you have a question or an idea for a topic to be discussed? Please let us know!